Friday, October 5, 2012

Should I (child) be receiving Child Support? And to which Age?

Question by John: Should I (child) be receiving Child Support? And to which Age? I'm 17 and currently a resident of New York. My mother and father divorced when I was 6, and my mom received custody of me and my 2 brothers. When I was 14, I decided I wanted to live with my father in New York (my mother lived in another state). My dad sued for custody, and 2 years later me and one of my brothers moved up with me. My mom had quit the custody battle, and had the attorney put in her papers that my dad had to sign that neither parent has to pay child support (my dad had me and 1 brother, my mom had just 1 brother). My dad very reluctantly agreed because the school year was starting. I'm going to be a senior in the fall, and next June, I'll turn 18 and go to a university somewhere in Manhatten. Despite the legal agreement between my mom and dad, could I sue her for child support which I should legally get till I'm 21? Going to college in the city will be expensive! Best answer:

Answer by The Scofield
No. You are not due anything because your father made the decision on your behalf, which he has the right to do until you are 18. You do not get child support until you're 21, because you are no longer a child after 18. Besides, you should man up and not rely on your mother to pay your bills for you. Get a job in the city. Many thousands of people manage to work and go to school. Your mother doesn't owe you anything, she raised you for 16 years. AND, it's spelled Manhattan.

Give your answer to this question below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment