Saturday, August 4, 2012

how can i get divorced and win custody of my 2 yr old daughter if i am a stay at home mom and have zero cash?

Question by xdefleshedx: how can i get divorced and win custody of my 2 yr old daughter if i am a stay at home mom and have zero cash? my husband recently told me he wants a divorce... he makes all the money in the house and i stay at home to care for our little one and to take care of the household duties... i do not have an income.. i have horrible credit so i have no credit card.. i do not have access to the bank account... i am not even given emergency money... i don't drive and my only I.D. was stolen a few months ago... My husband knows he has the upper hand here... i know my best bet is to file for divorce before he does... i figure hes probably not in a rush because he knows i cant afford a lawyer.. but i have heard that i can get free help from the state... is this true? and how to i go about getting it... if it helps i live in seaford new york (long island) i need help desperately.. im hoping i can somehow file first and be able to stay in our rented home and make HIM have to leave.. and not me... where i would of course not be able to take my little girl... my rent is $ 1,900 per month plus a ton of bills.... uhg... i dont know how i can manage this... but is there anyone who can tell me how to go about this... or at least the part where i can get a divorce attorney when i cant afford one.. please help.. my heart is broken and i cant bear to lose my daughter AND my home as well ... please please help if you need to talk to me personally... my email is ipokemyself@aol.com i am just so desperate and broken.......... Best answer:

Answer by donotbuyakia
Get yourself an ID. Take a bus to the MVA and get an identity card. Then go to the bank and take as much money out of joint accounts as you can. You need to get a driver's license, and job, and a spine. Don't just use excuses. Fight. Filing first means nothing. Apply at legal aid, but you probably won't qualify, as they will include your husband's income, because legally, it is yours also. Call your state bar association and see what referrals they can give you. As a last resort, call the nearest law school and see if they have any programs where a law student can handle your case while being overseen by a law professor. Some law schools have such programs.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment