Friday, August 10, 2012

Q&A: Can a Notary Public refuse to notarize certain types of documents?

Question by My baby girl, isn't a baby anymore: Can a Notary Public refuse to notarize certain types of documents? I'm just wondering, as a notary public, would I be able to limit the types of documents that I want to notarize? For example, if someone comes in and wants me to notarize a deed of some sort, lets say for the transferring of property, which I will be honest I have NO CLUE how any of that works, could I suggest that they get an attorney to notarize it for them? I would prefer to not notarize things of that nature. I was speaking to a notary some days ago and was told that some years ago, at a bank in Chicago, a notary public ended up costing their bank over a million dollars because of something they notarized I would prefer to not take a risk like that, especially when it comes to business that I know nothing about, such as mortgages, divorces, etc. Thanks for your insight, and don't chew my head off please thanks (also, I'm not a notary yet if you are wondering) Very good insight, thank you. Best answer:

Answer by wizjp
As a notary all your seal means is that you have verified the parties have signed the document. Period. You are not a lawyer. It's not your job to give legal advice or make legal decisions. That being said, you're a free agent. If you don't want to seal it; don't. No law says you have to seal anything you aren't comfortable with.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment