Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Am I required to change my birth certificate after a name change?

Question by : Am I required to change my birth certificate after a name change? I was born in New York State, and have my original birth certificate. When I was six years old, I changed my last name and have the original official record of the change from the Secretary of State of Callifornia (where I lived at the time). I have been using this second name my entire life (on passports, drivers licence, etc). I was recently married, and changed my name again on all the aforementioned documents. I am now divorced and attempting to change my name BACK to my "maiden" name, which is technically my second name. I live in Louisiana, and was just told at the OMV that I can't get a drivers license with my maiden name because the name change document from California was irrelevant because my birth certificate still had my original name. I brought my old voided passport with my maiden name, and my new (valid) passport with my married name, several forms of ID showing my maiden name, and all my marriage documents which use my maiden name. Apparently, none of this mattered - they told me the ONLY thing I could do is have my birth certificate changed, or get an additional court order to supplement my divorce decree. We didn't think to include it when we originally filed because I've never had this problem before. They told me I would have to return to the NY records bureau to have my birth certificate changed (or get an amendment to my divorce decree). Is that correct? Regardless of the marriage and divorce, should I have changed my birth certificate when I orignally changed my name? I've been using my birth certificate in conjunction with the name change order from California my entire life and never had this problem before. Is this a Louisiana thing? Why can't they accept the California name change? Why has this never been a problem in any state I've ever lived in until now? Were they just being cranky? Answers from attorneys only please. Thanks! Best answer:

Answer by Quizzard
The person at the DMV is wrong. You CANNOT change your birth certificate. Your proof of identity is your original BC PLUS the name change document, exactly as you have done all along.

Add your own answer in the comments!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment