Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Q&A: Getting Married without a Marriage License?

Question by kadan: Getting Married without a Marriage License? It seems strange to me that people get marriage licenses, when it is not illegal to get married without a license. I do not wish to participate in getting a marriage license because the law was originally created to make mixed racial marriage illegal in the early 1900s and I do not see how it is the government's business. I do not need permission to enter into relationships, it is my right to associate with whom I please. I want to get power of attorney out on each other and sign a contract outlining out financial responsibilities to each other and any children that might come. This contract would also have outlined how it would be settled in case of divorce. I do not want the terms of my marriage to be up to legislators, especially because the law could change after I get married. And in conjuncture with the contract I would have a religious ceremony where we would promise our spiritual and emotional responsibilities to each other in front of our family and friends. I know that I wouldn't get tax benefits or s.s. benefits, but I don't want those anyway. I don't think it's proper for the government to place financial incentives to get married while punishing single people. Would this way of doing things protect me from state (New York moving to Missouri) shenanigans? Best answer:

Answer by MrsH
You will have to check what the statutes are in each state. Draw it up in NY and if you move, make sure it's fireproof in Missouri. Also, make sure that all of your next of kin are on board with it as well. That's my reason for wanting legal civil marriage available to everyone, regardless of gender. Too many times family decides what's right FOR you instead of you and your partner deciding what's right for yourselves.

What do you think? Answer below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment