Sunday, July 8, 2012

If I live in PA, can a collection agency sue me in Ohio?

Question by BullMastiff: If I live in PA, can a collection agency sue me in Ohio? In May of 2008, these people agreed to settle a debt with me. I was to make 3 payments of $ 700.00. I made the first payment over the phone and asked them to send in writing the terms of our agreement. I never recieved anything but phone call after phone call from them wanting more money. So, I put a stop payment on the checks. Now, they are suing me for almost 3xs the amount that they agreed to settle with in the first place. From my understanding, they are a collection agency. .. not my creditor (Capitol One). When I recently called capitol One, they told me I didn't have a debt with them and it has been charged off. .. .. my agreement was with Capitol One NOT Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., L.P.A.. .. What do I do????? I have to have an answer to the courts by 1 April 2010. I am so upset with this. I am a single mother. NO income because of failing health. Going through a nasty divorce. . . I am at the end of my rope... someone please help me! They are suing my in Ohio (where I lived last year) but now, I live in PA. .. I can't afford an attorney. Nor can I afford to travel back and forth to Ohio for this crap. Best answer:

Answer by PooPooLaTrash
If you don't show up in court to prove hardship, the collection agency will win by default. They will most assuredly tack on interest and penalties to the amount you owe. Have you received a court summons? If so, it would be in your best interests to show up if at all possible. Bring documentation of your financial status. Otherwise, that judgment will follow you for years (judgments can be renewed, often at 20 years at a time) and foul up your credit as well as used to attach your wages and bank accounts. I feel very badly for you, but you should take whatever steps are necessary to protect yourself. You may also wish to consult with an attorney about filing for bankruptcy. In your current situation, you can probably qualify for a chapter 7 and discharge that debt/judgment instead of letting it follow you for decades. Initial consultation with an attorney is often free.

Add your own answer in the comments!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment