Thursday, July 5, 2012

Please help! I didn't respond to the divorce complaint!!!!?

Question by TruthSeeker: Please help! I didn't respond to the divorce complaint!!!!? I was served with divorce papers December 5th. I am a stay at home mother and have no money to retain a lawyer (no, legal aid in PA does not help with divorce nor custody cases). I have consulted with a few who have told me that I have 90 days to respond if I want an no-fault, and up to 2 years to respond to the original complaint before the divorce hearing. I'm hearing from other people that you're supposed to respond within 20 days (which is no longer possible as that time has passed). I'm scared that my lack of money has cost me everything now! I can't lose custody of my daughter! The complaint asks for HIM to have physical custody. I still have no money to retain an attorney and all I can do are consultations! Can anyone clarify this? If I didn't respond in 20 days, have I completely screwed up? Please help! I live in Pennsylvania. I have read through the complaint many times, and through the letter sent with it, and there is nothing at all said except that I needed to "promptly respond" but no dates/times/requirements stated. Also- I don't know whether or not this is a "summons." It said "you are being sued in court...take this to your lawyer" but it doesn't say when a hearing will happen, nor how long I have to respond or anything! Best answer:

Answer by INSOMNIAC
Lawyers are required to perform x number of hours per month pro bono (free) contact every lawyer in your area who handle family law and you may find one, if not you should go to court when notified of the hearing date and explain the situation to the judge they will allow you to present any info yourself, you would be wise to call the court house and get copies of any documents filed and they will also give you the date for the hearing, if you have the documents a lawyer will be able to advise you.~

What do you think? Answer below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment