Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Can she sue me for alienation of affection in NC?

Question by MV: Can she sue me for alienation of affection in NC? I legally separated from my abusive husband a few months ago and am obtaining a divorce after the one year mark of separation. A friend of mine left his wife because she was verbally/physically abusive to him in the past and treated him badly, ignored him, etc. He and I had spent a few days chatting on instant messenger, and his ex wife found them by breaking into his email account. Before he told her he wanted to separate/divorce, the conversations discussed how unhappy he was and how he was trying to make the right decision, but that he liked me as a person and could see himself happy with someone like me. Many times in these conversations, I told him to make his OWN choice, whether it was to stay with her or leave. He also said in these conversations he would NOT leave his wife specifically for me or any other person. However, after he told his wife he wanted to separate, he did tell me he loved me over IM and we grew fond of each other quickly. We hung out a few times before he moved out - but he moved out 4 days after he told his ex he wanted a divorce (he couldn't get an apartment quick enough and they slept in separate rooms until then).Both he and I are legally separated and going through divorces, but can his ex sue me? I don't have much money at all, and I'm still in college and live with my parents. I wanted him to do what was best for him and told him that, but since she has all the IM's, I think she might take them to court. Either way, from what I have read, there has to be proof that the marriage was happy, and he was miserable and said he felt as though he were dying inside. They had recently tried counseling too and the last session my friend had, he told the counselor he intended to separate/divorce his wife. His marriage did not end because of me; I gave him advice and was there to support him as a friend. I can't help it that we like each other now. My attorney told me not to worry about it and focus on my own divorce. Please give non-critical, kind advice! No one should be forced to stay in a miserable marriage like we were both in. Again, the IM conversations clearly showed that I wanted my friend to make the decision that was best for HIM, regardless of my feelings. I also showed concern for the feelings of his ex wife and wanted to make sure he was nice to her in the way he approached his actions. Help please! I forgot to add that this is a co-worker, and all hang-out time outside of work was done within the 4 days after he said he wanted to separate from his ex. We did not hang out before he told her he was going to separate. Oh, also, this is not a physical relationship, as neither of us agree to that. We were friends/co-workers for a while who grew fond of each other after our marriages were destined to fail. His ex knows that he told me he loved me and that he has kissed me, but that's as far as it has gone, and none of that happened until AFTER he said he was going to separate and he was in the process of moving. I was also told that the courts might question the fact that his ex got the IM's by breaking into his personal email account, as that is technically illegal in the state of N.C. Best answer:

Answer by Kyle
I'm going to guess she will need her money for the divorce. I've heard of these cases, but usually they fall down flat. She'd have to prove that you broke up their very happy marriage and he loved her and was devoted to her before you came along. It's this kind of stupidity that clogs up the court system so they cannot get to more important cases. Lie low for now. She will get over it and you? You need to leave this guy alone. He doesn't love you. He wants to do things with you and he's trying to convince you to let him. Never trust a guy who says he loves you when he is still in a relationship [even though he is "unhappy"]. You're better than that.

What do you think? Answer below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment