Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Can you appeal spousal support payments in New York State? If so does a lawer need to be involved?

divorce attorney new york
by dbking
Question by : Can you appeal spousal support payments in New York State? If so does a lawer need to be involved? Hello, I signed off on divorce papers in April allowing for $ 1000/month through May 2010. My wife has clearly moved on (With a former friend of mine no less) and I would like a chance to cease the payments. We have no kids, I gave her all the material possesions. Now some time has passed and I am ready to move on with my life but the $ 1000/mo that I am paying her is making it difficult. A couple people have told me to continue to pay now, but file an appeal. I have no idea how to do that and my ex wifes attorney is not responding. Thank you in advance for your help. Best answer:

Answer by Sam
1 - definitely continue complying with the support order until you win the reconsideration / appeal. 2 - don't call your x's attorney. Not only is it dumb, it's actually against the rules of ethics for him/her to talk to you without your attorney present. 3 - unless your x remarried, it doesn't matter if she "moved on". Once she remarries, then you can probably stop payments - after checking with a lawyer. 4 - If your situation hasn't changed (lost job, disability etc), I don't see why your support order would be changed.

Give your answer to this question below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment