Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Massachusetts divorce questions?

Question by : Massachusetts divorce questions? My brother and sister-in-law are getting divorced after only 2 years of marriage. She is from New York, while our family is from Massachusetts. She chose to do a 10 month surgical assistant program in New York (said that she would come back to Mass when it was over), and decided that she wanted to stay in New York. She told my brother that he would have to move to New York, however, he just got a great job in this area and they also have house here too, so he told her they would need to transition into that kind of move. Despite my brother trying to compromise, she is filing for divorce. Here's where it gets complicated: Her mother died about a year before they got married, and she received a large chunk of money from it. So now she is saying that everything that even a cent of that money went towards is hers. For instance, she put the downpayment on the house, so she says that when they sell the house, any profit should be hers (or my brother can keep the house and give her what she put down as a down payment)...even though my brother is the main financial support in the marriage and most of his money has been going towards the mortgage payments. Another item is my brother's truck...they refianced it, his wife put some money into it to make the payments lower....she is also saying that this is now hers. Obviously my brother needs an attorney, but I just want to make sure things I'm/my family is telling him is semi-accurate (like that she's out of her mind). Thanks! Best answer:

Answer by up4more
The division of assets is usually a 50/50 but that can vary by case...what a shame those two couldn't make better compromises within their marriage.

What do you think? Answer below!

Get Free Legal Advice at http://free-legal-information.anaxom.com/ - Know Your Legal Rights !

No comments:

Post a Comment